If you use the training methods I outline in Sexual Stamina Secrets you don’t need to use supplements to overcome premature ejaculation. But if for the sake of convenience you just want to use supplements, here some info on L-Arginine, which is most well known for erectile dysfunction but can also be used to treat PE.
What is L-Arginine?
L-Arginine is a semi-essential amino acid. It’s also naturally present in some foods we eat.
Why is it important?
It’s important because it is the precursor to the synthesis of nitric oxide. If your body doesn’t have enough L-Arginine, it can’t produce enough nitric oxide – and nitric oxide is of vital importance for your cardiovascular health (and matters for the strength of your erections and how long you can last in bed). In fact, it’s so important that in 1998 the Nobel Prize was awarded to the medical researchers who discovered that nitric oxide is an important signalling molecule in the cardiovascular system. It’s also important for the production of sperm, stimulates the release of insulin and helps the body to get rid of a waste product called ammonia.
Benefits for men
L-Arginine is often used successfully to treat erectile dysfunction (ED) and impotence. One reason for this is that it works in some ways like sildenafil citrate – in case you don’t know: sildenafil citrate = Viagra.
Sildenafil citrate can behave as a precursor to the synthesis of nitric oxide, which is exactly what L-Argine does.
Among the benefits of L-Arginine for men are increased libido and overall increased sexual health, including the ability to last longer in bed.
L-Argine has shown to improve both sperm count and sperm motility in men.
According to a research done by the University of Michigan Health System website, taking L-arginine for several months can help increase sperm count. But those men who relatively have very low sperm count cannot benefit from this supplement anymore. A study was conducted among 178 men who took 4 grams of arginine daily. This study is in the Journal of Nutrition in 1985 and it was cited in there that results show that 62% showed significant improvement in sperm count and 28% among the participants have moderate improvement.
There is a wide range of L-Arginine products availabe on the market for those who want to enhance their health and well-being. Here are a couple of products:
Powder is good because you can simply add it to all kinds of foods or drinks. However, the downside is that you basically need to supplement yourself all day long with L-Arginine powder (see Time Release)
L-Arginine cream can be used for many purposes, but in the context of male sexual health, it’s best used to get stronger erections.
Capsules are probably the best way to supplement L-Arginine if they offer sustained release! The Doctor’s Best capsules offer exactly that and should be taken twice daily for optimal effectiveness. The reason why capsules work so well for sustained release is because they get broken down in several layers. There are other products that are just as good as Doctor’s Best, but they are much more expensive, so I recommend you use these.
L-Arginine gel is basically just a “quick booster” to increase circulation. I do not really recommend you use it, but if you want you can get a cheap tube on Amazon.com
L-Argine is found in many foods, mainly in:
- dairy products
- fish (especially anchovies, tuna, sardines and shellfish)
- nuts (especially pine nuts, peanuts, walnuts, almonds and pistachios)
- grains (especially oats and wheat germ)
For the purpose of premature ejaculation, 1,700 to 2,700 mg per day are usually recommended.
The thing that’s really important is that you need to have some kind of timed release (sustained release) L-Argine consumptions. Because L-Argine doesn’t last very long in your body, and you would actually have to pop an L-Argine pill every 20 minutes or so for optimum efficiency. So what you need is a way to have timed release L-Arginine.
Long term use
There isn’t conclusive and reliable research which has been conducted on the effects of long-term use of L-Arginine. The only study we’re aware of is Long-term L-Arginine Supplementation Improves Small-Vessel Coronary Endothelial Function in Humans by Amir Lerman, MD; John C. Burnett Jr, MD; Stuart T. Higano, MD; Linda J. McKinley, RN; David R. Holmes Jr, MD (1998; 97: 2123-2128, doi: 10.1161/01.CIR.97.21.2123)
You should never use L-Argine products when you are taking
- antihypertensive drugs (medications for high blood pressure),
- Nitrates (medications that increase blood flow to the heart),
- sildenafil (Viagra)
Notable research on the effects of L-Argine in relation to premature ejaculation and other male sexual issues:
- De Aloysio D, Mantuano R, Mauloni M, Nicoletti G. The clinical use of arginine aspartate in male infertility. Acta Eur Fertil 1982;13:133–67.
- Tanimura J. Studies on arginine in human semen. Part II. The effects of medication with L-arginine-HCl on male infertility. Bull Osaka Med School1967;13:84–9.
- Scibona M, Meschini P, Capparelli S, et al. L-arginine and male infertility.Minerva Urol Nefrol 1994;46:251–3.
- Schacter A, Goldman JA, Zukerman Z. Treatment of oligospermia with the amino acid arginine. J Urol 1973;110:311–3.
- Mroueh A. Effect of arginine on oligospermia. Fertil Steril 1970:21:217–9.
- Pryor JP, Blandy JP, Evans P, et al. Controlled clinical trial of arginine for infertile men with oligozoospermia. Br J Urol 1978;50:47–50.
- Aydin S, Inci O, Alagol B. The role of arginine, indomethacin and kallikrein in the treatment of oligoasthenospermia. Int Urol Nephrol 1995;27:199–202.
- Zorgniotti AW, Lizza EF. Effect of large doses of the nitric oxide precursor, L-arginine, on erectile dysfunction. Int J Impot Res 1994;6:33–6.
- Chen J, Wollman Y, Chernichovsky T, et al. Effect of oral administration of high-dose nitric oxide donor L-arginine in men with organic erectile dysfunction: results of a double-blind, randomized study. BJU Int 1999;83:269–73.
Like already said, in my opinion the best choice for L-Arginine supplementation for the purpose of PE is Doctor’s Best Sustained Plus Immediate Release L-Arginine